Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Tomorrow is... Hump Dayyyyyyyyyy!

Anyone who works in a school, knows that, thanks to the popular (and overplayed!) Geico commercial, someone will walk into the classroom every Wednesday yelling, "What day is it," followed by several kids hollering, "Hump Dayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!"   Someone today said, "Guess what day tomorrow is?"   I knew what was coming next and commented that I was so sick of that camel.  Then another kid asked, "How do they know it's on Wednesday?"  Yet another one answered, "Because it says 'happier than a camel on Wednesday.'" (Kind of in a way that had the tone of, "well DUH?")

As I listened to their conversations, I realized that there was a pretty big chance that few, if any of them, had ever even heard the term "hump day" used before seeing (and repeating) that commercial.  If they had ever heard it, it was probably highly unlikely that many of them knew the original meaning behind the words.  So I asked them.  I was right.  No one knew!  They just said, "I don't know...the camel says it."  LOL!  So I made this little graphic to share with my second group of the day.  We had a great discussion about how climbing a hill is a great metaphor for the school week.   The first two days and part of Wednesday seem to take forever and once you're over the "hump" of Wednesday, Thursday and Friday just seem to fly by.   I wonder how many other things we say all the time, actually have little to no meaning to kids?  Things that make you go hmmmmmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments must be approved before they will be posted by Mrs. Schauer. Please keep comments kind and relevant to the posts! :)