Friday, September 27, 2013

Reading: Listening Writing: Talking!

This is the first time I've ever been responsible for teaching writing to kids that are older than eight, and WOW is it fun!

We're working on narrative writing right now, and something I find myself repeatedly saying to my students is, "When you're writing, just act like you're talking!"  I also say, quite often, "When you're reading, try to imagine the author is talking directly to you."  Once they began to wrap their heads around the concept that reading is listening and writing is talking, it's like a bunch of little light bulbs started going of in our classroom.

I think that many times, people get freaked out over writing, because they make it so much more difficult than it really has to be.  If someone in my class says, "I don't know how to write," my reply will typically be along the lines of, "DUDE!  I know darn well you can TALK--you've actually proven that you are quite good at it! Just write it down instead of saying it!"

I hope everyone has a fantastic weekend.  I know I'm ready for some Lady Eagle volleyball, and then heading home for some rest and relaxation.  Have a great one!

~Mrs. Schauer

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments must be approved before they will be posted by Mrs. Schauer. Please keep comments kind and relevant to the posts! :)